Humboldt Squid also known as "Jumbo Squid" or commonly called "Giant Squid" make an appearance in the Monterey Bay near the Canyon during the Winter Months. Not only are these squid large and aggressive predators, they have proven to be an exciting, challenging and novel fishery which provides a wonderful meal!
Advance purchase strongly recommended. Trips usually sell out in advance. (*Trips are subject to cancellation due to foul weather or lack of participation) To Purchase by phone, please call Zerve at: (800) 979-3370 or (212) 209-3370 and ask for "Randy's Fishing Trips" or Call us Directly at (800) 251 - 7440
Private Charters are also available please Contact Us for more information.
Enjoy a FRESH CATCH MEAL DEAL
DID YOU KNOW:
- Humboldt Squid, belong to the genus Dosidicus gigas . Scientific Classification : Cephalopoda
- Humboldt squid live at depths of 660 to 2,300 feet taking their name from their main habitat, the Humboldt Current off the coast of South America .
- Humboldt Squid is one of the most aggressive of all the squid (approximately 300 different types through out the world) earning the nickname 'diablos rojos'(Red Devil).
- The Humbold squids average life span is aprroximately 1-2 years. They may
grow reaching lenghts of 5-7 feet and weigh up to 100 pounds .
- The Humboldt Squid feed on small fish, krill, shrimp, mollusks, and other cephalopods.
Sperm whales, Riso Dolphins, Sharks, Seals, Swordfish, and Marlin will feed on Humboldt Squid.